A shrieking broomcupboard

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

A shrieking broomcupboard

Post  Amber Willamson on Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:33 am

Amber stalked down the stairs leading up to her dim house that was right smack dab in the middle of knockturn alley of all places. Who's brilliant idea was it to move there of all places? True they were close to Diagon alley whose house prices were skyrocketing right now, and Knockturn Alley had been the cheapest which was convenient considering her dad just got fired, hence their move, but still! Knockturn Alley, really? It seemed Amber's luck was yet to improve. And to makes her first day in the new town worse, her parents were fighting, again.
It's not like they don't care about Amber, they really do, it's just they both had short tempers and saw things differently, there had just been a lot of tension in the air, that's all. But either way Amber didn't want to be around to listen to it so she quietly opened the creaky door that lead into Knockturn Alley's many shops.
Walking down the street as she tried not to draw too much attention to herself, Amber peered through the windows. There were many things that they had here that they didn’t have in Germany, despite the many magical towns. She stuffed her small sack of money into her pocket that she had saved up for her school supplies and kept walking. But a part of her wanted to stay here and look around, especially since she would be living so close to all these places. Amber studied the objects in the window and smiled. These were her kind of shops, different, quiet, and preferred to be out of the way of everything else.
However, Amber had more important things to do that look at the shops, like getting her Hogwarts supplies. She sighed, and began to search for a sign or something that could direct her to Diagon Alley.
Amber Willamson

Galleons : 53

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: A shrieking broomcupboard

Post  Alexandria Black on Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:09 am

Okay now she was worried. Scared.......would be inappropriate considering she wasn't scared, no. Creepy people hanging off wall and excessive darkness and pests weren't her scene, but that didn't mean they were scary too. And it also helped that Alex had no idea about the real level of danger around here.

Frowning, she looked at sign after sign, recognizing none, feeling no inclination to enter any. Not that she would have recognized signs from Diagon Alley, but that place was much safer. Not to mention cleaner, she thought, glancing at the side and immediately wishing she hadn't. There was a man lying in his own pool of vomit. Okay now she was a little nervous.

Never having seen a guy passed out from too much alcohol, Alex's original feeling of repulse was overshadowed by her curiosity and she stared non stop at the guy, only being brought back to reality as someone crashed into her.

"Look where you are going!" Someone said, bringing her right back down to Earth.
Alexandria Black

Galleons : 128

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Amber Willamson on Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:21 am

Amber had been so caught up in the shops and everything around her she hadn't even realized somebody had ran straight into her. Amber stumbled but caught herself before she did a face plant on the concrete. "Look where you're going!" She shot. After having to get out of her own house to avoid listening to fights she was really not in the mood for anything else today that might push her and her short temper over the edge. Glancing at the girl who had run into her she noticed the somewhat nervous- no probably confused look in her eyes as she stood over a man who was passed out at her feet. Pleasant. Amber groaned, she was expecting to run into some creep like people, but never another girl who looked to be a Hogwarts student. "What are you doing back here?" She asked briskly.
Amber Willamson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alexandria Black on Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:24 am

"What are you doing here?" Alex shot back, sure she had run into the girl, but really! It was as if people didn't believe her to have a temper just because she smiles a lot. Well Alex could, and generally would keep a lot of long grudges. "Technically, it was your fault too! And, do you have an accent, or..........?" Alex wondered out loud, starting in an annoyed voice, but ending in a thoughtful one, her mind trying to place the accent. German?
Alexandria Black

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Amber Willamson on Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:31 am

Amber sighed. The thought about her German accent hadn't even occurred to her until the girl pointed it out. Great, just one other thing to be annoyed about, but she'll just have to get over it. "I live here, if you must know." She told the girl, she could feel her temper sparking but tried to keep her voice steady. Amber didn’t want to lash out completely on a girl she barely even knew if she could help it. She looked the girl over quickly, "Clearly you don't live around here- don't look the part, you-" Amber stopped talking, 'you looked like one of those spoiled kids,' she imagined herself saying, but wouldn't voice her thoughts out loud, but at least she has backbone. "So what are you doing?" She asked her.
Amber Willamson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alexandria Black on Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:39 am

Alex was feeling angry, but her treacherous and volatile feelings decided she was supposed to be impressed. So, her face breaking into a smile, she answered brightly, "That's so cool! I live in a boring place, but your life seems so much cooler! More adventurous!"

Even though the girl stopped herself, just in time, Alex knew exactly what she was about to say. It didn't fit though, Alex thought as she surveyed herself with a confused frown, she wore a camouflage cargo capries, and loose black T-shirt, Alex hardly looked like a girl, the image completed by the clack converse which had probably seen better days, and a camouflage P-cap, all of which were now streaked with dirt. That was mainly due to Alex tripping around so much, but in her eyes she looked no better than anyone around. Not that it mattered, clothes were for only making her feel warm and not naked, as far as Alex was concerned.

"Lost." She replied shortly, feeling slightly annoyed by the girl's constant and baseless anger.
Alexandria Black

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Amber Willamson on Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:47 am

Amber's glare softened a bit at that, but it was far from gone to say the least. At least she had a good reason for being back here. "Well, why didn't you just walk out where you came in? Why did you go deeper into Knockturn Alley?" She couldn't help but ask. Amber paused for a few seconds, she hadn't expected to say that but decided to roll with it anyways. At least the two weren't yelling at each other, it was a start at least.
Taking a slow breath some of Amber's anger lessoned and she faced the girl again, brushing some of her hair out of her face she held out her hand, despite the girls many bags. "I'm Amber Willamson." She said blankly. She had never been one to start conversations but she figured once she helped the lost girl she could continue on with her shopping. Knockturn Alley, as Amber was quickly finding out, was the last place you wanted to get lost in after all.
Amber Willamson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alexandria Black on Tue Jul 19, 2011 5:53 am

"Because that's not my style! And 'sides, I had already taken three four wrong turns before I realized I was lost. See, mainly because I have so much pride, I cannot even admit to myself that I am lost!" Alex replied as she shrugged, rolling her eyes.

"Yeah, try to give the glare a rest you know! First, it isn't even intimidating, and second, it makes your face look weird." Alex added, shrugging some more as she took Amber's hand, giving it a cheerful and vigorous shake, as she said, "Alex Black." Not bothering to add that, that just happened to be her pet name. she had no intention of telling the girl her real name, she hated it.
Alexandria Black

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Amber Willamson on Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:01 am

Amber paused and gave the girl a confused glance yet a half smile crept onto her face. "Well you sure are... cheerful, bubbly." Amber said. She glanced around and the alley way was practically deserted accept for Alex, the man who was passed out, drunk probably, and her. "Well, seeing as you're here, do you want me to show you the way out, or since you're already in the middle of this place would you rather look around?" Amber suggested uncertainly.
Amber Willamson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alexandria Black on Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:06 am

"Am I not?" Alex answered, as she winked, a brilliant smile lighting up her features. Before, she would have had a huge argument with the girl, and she probably would have had it today too, but Alex had learnt that losing her temper only created problems, so she found it easier to brush it aside and be cheery, friendly even. i =t got her more friends, and of course, if the person persisted, she would lose her temper and make the other person wish they weren't born, but it happened rarely. It was hard to stay angry at Alex. A fact, she sometimes took undue advantage of.

"What do you think I would like to do?" Asked Alex with mock curiosity, she was sure by now even the drunken man had figured her answer.
Alexandria Black

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Amber Willamson on Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:15 am

Amber smirked a bit and glanced around. "Gee I wonder, especially since 'your style' is walking right smack into the middle of what could be dire situations without a second thought, I bet you're freaking out inside that little head of yours wanting nothing more than to leave." She said sarcastically. Amber jerked her head down another alley to their side. "Come one, some of the more interesting shops are down this way, I think." Amber added under her breath. Well, they might be the other way, she couldn't remember. But she had been around here more than a few times and could find her way back if she was wrong.
Amber Willamson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alexandria Black on Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:30 am

"So then I must also be making assumptions about why your family is so poor that you have to move into such a disgusting, though admittedly interesting, area." Alex shot back, just as sarcastically. She did not like assumptions that she was dumb, mainly because Alex prided herself on her brain. She didn't think she was pretty, but she did love her brain, so any comment, even in joke was taken very seriously by her.

"Sure, you lead the way/" Alex answered with an easy shrug, returning to her usual demeanor.
Alexandria Black

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Amber Willamson on Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:38 am

That was a low blow, but Amber clenched her teeth and tried to shake it off. "Okay..." Amber trailed off as she spun around on one heel, anxious to not have to make eye contact with Alex and lead the way down the side alley and into an area with more shops. There were more people around here which Amber didn't exactly like but she was getting more and more used to it as time passed. They walked by a wide assortment of shops that sold everything Amber could think of, jewelry, brooms, robes, furniture, plants, potions, ect. None of the shops could compare to the quality of the ones in Diagon Alley Amber was sure, but they were all interesting and unique in their own way. "So... pick your poison." She said metaphorically, gesturing to the many shops.
Amber Willamson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alexandria Black on Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:43 am

"It's true?" Alex asked incredulously, she hadn't thought it to be true, she had thought that maybe Amber's father owned a shop, or that they liked living in areas such as these. She contemplated apologizing, but knew it was too hard for her to even try it. So sighing, she decided to leave it at that, hoping Amber didn't ask her history.

"Um.....I don't know! How about that one!" Asked Alex, breaking up from biting her lip and furrowing her eyebrows, trying to find a shop, by pointing to one that had a severed head at its entrance. Nice.
Alexandria Black

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Amber Willamson on Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:56 am

She decided it was best to ignor what Alex had said before. Why else would her and her family be living here? She watched Alex pick out a store and Amber raised her eyebrows, yet shrugged. It was an odd selection, but Amber was begining to thing Alex wasn't as normal as she seemed. "Sure." She said simply. Leading the way into the shop Amber pulled open the door and walked inside with Alex behind her. Amber wandered over to the shelves towards the back of the shop and looked at vials that claimed to change any substance you put into it to a draught of living death so to poison people. "Hm, clever, though I doubt it would work." She said under her breath so that the shopkeeper who was crouched in the corner peering at some old textbook wouldn't hear. The man was middle aged and his light brown hair was just showing hints of grey, though his worn, chalk white face gave the impression he was much older than Amber originally thought. She brushed past the weird vials and glanced at some other objects around the shop, wondering how many places Alex wanted to visit. Amber was curious too and wanted to look around, and maybe, despite the fact that both girls couldn't go two minutes without firing a snappy remark at one another, they might, if they were lucky, find they had something in common so that they could find some more stable ground.
Amber Willamson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alexandria Black on Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:01 am

While Amber busied herself with the vials, Alex found herself more at home in the genealogy section. She studied the family trees, ignoring the names highlighted, focusing instead on the scorched out ones. Frowning as she found no answer to either of her questions, she turned back, coming face to face with a chalky white guy who had greying brown hair. Blinking her eyes a few times, she asked clearly.

"Are you a vampire?"
Alexandria Black

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Amber Willamson on Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:10 am

Amber's head shot up as Alex asked the shopkeeper if he was a vampire. She wiped her hand across her mouth, trying to hide her laugh. The man glance dup at her from his book and muttered something that didn't sound like any word Amber had ever heard. he began waving one of his hands this way and that all the while muttering those words that didn't seem to have a meaning. Amber didn't move and it didn’t look like Alex was about to either. The man slowly tried to stand up, and she was surprised his toothpick legs could support him at all. "Uh..." Amber trailed off. The man kept muttering, though now it sounded more like yelling. She didn't like the crazed look in his eye. "Um... Alex?" She asked patiently, this whole situation was amusing her probably more than it should, especially considering she was seriously beginning to question the sanity of this man who had just been accused of being a vampire. "Do you think, um, maybe we should go?" She asked, all the while trying to hide her smirks at the man's reaction.

Last edited by Amber Willamson on Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Amber Willamson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alexandria Black on Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:17 am

"Dude, all I asked was were you a vampire, a simple shake of the head would have clarified that! Why did you do all that theatrics? That's my job!" Alex asked in a slightly annoyed voice, fighting hard to keep her laughter in check. Rolling her eyes, she coughed as she tried hard to keep her laughter in check, on seeing the guy unable to stand on his two toothpick feet. Pushing him back down, Alex smirked as she got out, laughing as she held up a beautiful silver chain, that had a gleaming emerald set in polished silver, or maybe platinum?, pendent.

She had paid for it, the price that was written beside it, she had kept it on the table, but she found it more amusing to take it this way. The shopkeeper proving a great distraction.
Alexandria Black

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Amber Willamson on Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:23 am

Once they were out of the shop and a good distance away from that maniac shopkeeper Amber couldn't help but laugh. "Okay, brilliant job back there." She said, serious for once, the shopkeepers reaction, as sad as it may be, Amber thought was quite entertaining. "Though I must say I never thought that would be what makes me laugh today." Amber said. The shopkeeper freaking out had been the last thing she had expected, but this was Knockturn Alley after all. Her eyes landed on the pendant in Alex's hand and Amber got a suspicious glint in her eyes. "Wait you did pay for that didn't you?" She asked in a somewhat joking tone. She didn't see Alex as the stealing type, but she hadn't seen her as someone who would want to go walking around Knockturn Alley with a girl who she hardly even knew either.
Amber Willamson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alexandria Black on Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:29 am

"Of course! I did it!" Alex answered, waving a hand towards herself in a smug manner. Watching the pendent glint with curiosity shining in her eyes, Alex wondered why she had bought it. She hated jewelry, and hated spending money, but this..............it was most unlike her. The pendent had a slip of paper next to it, saying it was from an old and distinguished family, but even with Alex being, well...........Alex, that didn't seem like a good enough reason to buy it.

"Nodding her head distractedly to Amber, she put the chain around her, feeling oddly comforted.
Alexandria Black

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Amber Willamson on Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:36 am

Amber smiled as Alex seemed to relax a bit. "Okay, just making sure because the last thing we need is that shopkeeper chasing after us, we would never make it." She said sarcastically yet couldn't help but smirk a bit. Glancing around she paused, trying to think of something to say to fill the silence. "So..." Amber trailed off. "What do you want to do now?" She asked, Amber was sure there were many things that they could find to preoccupy themselves here. "Look around in shops, walk around, just find some place to sit or something, get food, whatever you want." Amber said, she was open to anything. She was just thankful Alex was so laid back, even if she did have a bit of a temper, though Amber wasn't exactly one to talk about someone having anger issues.
Amber Willamson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alexandria Black on Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:48 am

"Yes, because he happens to be the national champ, eh?" Alex asked sarcastically, rolling her eyes. Looking around in a comfortable silence, Alex shrugged when Amber asked her what she wanted to do. "I am cool with anything. Anything BUT shopping for clothes or talking about make up that is." Alex clarified, stopping and turning while holding up her hand in a halt motion, to get the message across.
Alexandria Black

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Amber Willamson on Wed Jul 20, 2011 12:54 am

Amber smiled, "Thank God," she said, well, at least they knew they had one thing in common. She looked at the buildings around them and stopped at some place that looked like a restaurant or a pub or something. "How about there? We could just go get something to drink while we think of something to do or just talk a bit." She suggested.
Amber Willamson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Alexandria Black on Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:12 am

Alex saw where Amber was pointing and nodded, shrugging, anything was good enough for Alex, especially if it came to food. Her favorite thing could come in any form, and Alex would still love it.

"Maybe we could try our luck and order alcoholic drinks?" Alex mused out loud, tapping her chin lightly as she thought. "Well, what do you say? More chances they won't serve it to us, but why not give it a shot?"
Alexandria Black

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Amber Willamson on Wed Jul 20, 2011 1:17 am

A grin formed on Amber's face, she had tried some minor alcoholic drinks before but never really cared for the taste, but she supposed trying something a little different couldn't hurt. "Why not?" They began walking to the store and Amber glanced back at Alex as they walked. "So, you're going into your first year at Hogwarts, right?" She asked, "What house are you wanting to get into?" Amber opened the door for them and stepped up to the counter. The bartender had his back turned, but Amber supposed that was a good thing. She tried to make herself look a bit taller than usual as she spoke in case he turned around. "One firewhisky please." She said. Now whether Alex had meant it as a joke or not Amber was fine with it and thought it would be fun to at least see if they could order, despite their age.
Amber Willamson

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum